Episode 57: The Top Ten Worst Holidays

Holidays are not all sitting on the cemetery wall, clapping at the cars as they go by. No, some of the time they’re more festive, and people are less likely to get out of their cars and yell at you and tell you what terrible children you are. Holidays! Am I right, folks!?

In this list there was not a lot of crossover, but I was surprised at what crossover there actually was.

Any way, throw another yule log on the fire, make smores, Set fire to witches. And kick back in your nicest easy chair for some holiday bickering–the reason for the season.

11 Responses to “Episode 57: The Top Ten Worst Holidays”

1. Patty says:

I really enjoyed this episode until the end and now I’m all depressed. I want you to try to think further along in your lives. What is the most fun thing about Christmas right now? For us it was filling the stockings and setting out the presents. Just waiting for the kids to finally be asleep so we could start. Being Santa was such a kick. And then one year it’s just over. Night comes and it’s over. Nothing to do. Nothing feels so flat. No reason to get up early to “see if Santa had come”.
    Eventually grandkids come along and some new traditions are started, and then they move away. Last year Rob’s family was sick and there was that flat feeling again. You said that you go along with things so your kids will have memories. It goes both ways. You will want to hold to traditions later on and if your kids have been raised without them, they won’t want to start then. They’ll have better things to do than go to the hassle of seeing family on a holiday.
    I always felt run off my feet, making sure we went to Wells, and Grandma Sellick and then to Mathesons, but I’m really glad we did. I think it was good for everyone. Except maybe Rob.

2. Patty says:

I need to make it clear that my comment was not aimed at Rob, but at my other son, who apparently hates Christmas.

3. bruce says:

You just got told by your mom.

4. Ivanthecow says:

You guys missed a real opportunity for the Audible book of the week. The True Meaning of Smekday was the clear and obvious choice, especially with the mentioning of space exploration as a basis of Holidays in the future.

5. TW says:

Rob’s boss’s day anecdote sounds like Band of Brothers:

Richard Winters: These men have been through the toughest training the Army has to offer, under the worst possible circumstances, and they volunteered for it.

‘Buck’ Compton: Christ, Dick, I was just shooting craps with them.

Richard Winters: You know why they volunteered? Because they knew that the man in the foxhole next to them would be the best, not some draftee who’s going to get them killed.

‘Buck’ Compton: Are you ticked because they like me? Because I’m spending time to get to know my soldiers? I mean, c’mon, you’ve been with them for two years? I’ve been here for six days.

Richard Winters: You were gambling, Buck.

‘Buck’ Compton: So what? Soldiers do that. I don’t deserve a reprimand for it.

Richard Winters: What if you’d won?

‘Buck’ Compton: What?

Richard Winters: What if you’d won? Don’t ever put yourself in the position where you can take from these men.

• Tom says:

Came here to say this. Just stopped the podcast to come clue Rob in about Band of Brothers.

It’s one of my favorite scenes. Such a powerful lesson.

Also, Christmas is the worst. Memorial Day is the best.

6. Tomas says:

Dan, in Sweden we don’t have that thing in mid august that you disliked. We have crayfish parties involving a lot of crayfish, alcohol and skinny dipping.

Oh, and the stores are open.

7. Katie says:

Mother’s Day is the worst holiday, for sure. I actually told my husband I wanted to go on a camping trip this year instead of going to church on mother’s day. I’ve never purposefully missed church before, but for the past several years the mother’s day festivities at church have left me feeling depressed for weeks. The biggest reason for me is the very poor relationship I have with my own mother, who has been verbally abusive towards me my whole life. On the one hand, mother’s day makes me feel angry at my mother for treating me poorly and never doing any of the things people like to praise mothers for doing on mother’s day. On the other hand, I feel intensely guilty for feeling angry at my mother while everyone else talks about how much their mothers are perfect pictures of virtue and goodness – like it must have been my fault somehow that my mother was mean to me. Then, you throw in the intense guilt and fear that I might hurt my children the same way my mother hurt me (despite my therapist telling me a hundred times that that is not going to happen). Oh, and the intense feelings of loneliness that I can’t really talk about these issues with most people at church since there are few things that make people more uncomfortable than saying bad things about your mother – people don’t want to believe that parents can really be abusive. All of that is enough to leave me feeling depressed for a month after. The bishop getting up in Relief Society and talking about how because God can’t be here he sends us to “angel” mothers to be taken care of as children – a well-meaning sentiment that he didn’t realize implies that children born to abusive parents are somehow loved less by God – was a little too much last year. I really hate mother’s day.

8. Micah says:

I don’t know that there has been a subject better suited for the Wells boys (granted, I’m basing that statement most on my knowledge of Rob).

9. Xaver says:

As a German I always find it weird when Dan talks about our culture. Very often I’d like to say that he’s wrong but I honestly don’t know how different things are at the different places in Germany. I live in Berlin and I never heard of anyone getting a visit from Santa Clause early December.
    Saint Nicholas visits December the 6th and puts candy (or something) in our cleaned boots. December 24th Santa Clause (or one of his helpers) comes and gives us the presents personally. That was the case for our atheist family and every religious family that celebrates christmas that I’ve talked to. I don’t know why it’s that different in Stuttgart, but then again, it’s the south. Weihnachtsmarkts are everywhere though. Berlin alone had 45 of them in 2008.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] We critique Dan and Rob’s episode on worst holidays, so go check it out. Both of our podcasts use this list from [...]